Sustainable Tourism is about making a positive difference to the people and environments we choose to travel to by:
- Respecting local cultures and the natural environment.
- Buying Local, giving fair economic returns to local families
- Recognising that water and energy are precious resources that we need to use carefully
- Protecting and enhancing favourite destinations for the future enjoyment of visitors and the people who live there
- Taking responsibility for our actions while enjoying ourselves
What Can YOU Do?
We are all passionate about the places we visit and want to protect and preserve them for future generations to enjoy. We are sure it’s a passion you share so here are some ideas you can do while in Edinburgh, Scotland:
- Look after the natural environment: Leave anywhere you visit even better than when you found it.
- Dispose of litter carefully (fire is a serious hazard in hot, dry conditions so be careful with that cigarette butt! when out walking in our lands) and recycle where possible, Edinburgh Council provide recycling bins all around the city.
- Resist giving money or gifts to beggars: It may give you that feel-good feeling but you may be adding to other problems behind the scenes. Give to a local charity to ensure the money goes where it is most needed.
- Buy locally made products and use local services: Eat at local bars and cafes. Ask about excursions using local guides and drivers - Ask your concierge for more details! Putting money into the local economy helps local people and gives your holiday an extra dimension.
- Reduce the use of natural resources and energy during your stay with us: Take a quick shower instead of a bath; re-use your towels; switch off lights when out; think, if your not charging switch it off,
- Leave the car and take the local bus service, Edinburgh has a great transport network with buses running 24 hours a day.
- Hire a bike (see our Useful Links page)
- Walk! Edinburgh is not a vast city; you can easily walk from one side of the city to the other in under an hour! – You’ll see more that way! There are numerous Parks, Gardens and Reserves just a short walk from The Knight Residence (See our local Guide page)
- Please don't take 'natural' souvenirs away: Wild flowers and plants, pebbles and sea shells, should all be left where you found them for others to enjoy.
Photo Credit - Edinburgh Inspiring Capital.